Friday, November 2, 2012

Steranko's Nick Fury


Jim Steranko's masterful covers of Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. I can't imagine what it was like being a kid in 1968 and finding stuff like this on the newsstand every month.


Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1, June 1968.


Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #2, July 1968.


Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #3, August 1968.


Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #4, September 1968.


Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #5, October 1968.


Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #6, November 1968.


Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #7, December 1968.

8 comments:

Tony Robertson said...

I was there and it was mind-blowing!

AzathothX said...

Some of the first comics I ever bought, and still awesome to this day. Made everything else at the time seem primitive. 4 page spreads!

Weird WWII said...

Still got them all as well as his Strange Tales Fury stuff.

Some of Marvel's best,
Brian

Jeremy355 said...

These still blow away most current comic book covers.

Rip Jagger said...

I got these off the stands, each and everyone. They were awesome then, they are awesome now. The storytelling inside sometimes confused my ten-year-old brain, but the covers always blew me away. It might've been years before I got the references, but it didn't stop you from enjoying the heck out of them.

Rip Off

Tony Robertson said...

Right up there with the SHIELD covers was the rejected cover for Tower of Shadows #1. Last week Steranko re-colored it based on his original concept and sent me a scan. It can be seen here:
http://entodoelcolodrillo.blogspot.ca/2012/10/la-portada-rechazada-de-steranko-para.html

gg said...

Those are sweet. The giant robot's face looks like Bender from Futurama and issue #3 reminds me of those darker Batman covers from the same era.

Unknown said...

Wait till you see his 2nd volume of IDW Artist's Edition.